Saturday, July 28, 2012

A Beautiful Ending for July

We were out skiing four times this week. Conditions were excellent. Dawn had minimal wind and temperatures around 80. The water as always was warm.

We learned to slalom ski using traditional slalom techniques. A few years ago we learned the West Coast slalom technique. If you ski, you know what I am talking about. If you don't, I won't bore you with a discussion of differences. All that is really relevant is that the technique allows for very rapid acceleration and cuts. This week we were working on our use of the technique. Al tweaked his form to increase the speed of his crosses. I worked on my turns, trying to improve them while controlling the acceleration towards towards the wake. (This technique can easily give me acceleration that my hands can't handle!) We both felt very good about our progress.

July still has a half week to go, but we'll be taking the next couple of days off for recovery time. The chance of tropical systems interrupting our water skiing increases during the next two months. The weather people say the developing El Nino will tamp down systems in the Atlantic, but we'll see. The systems are so huge they only need to slide withing several hundred miles of us to bring big weather to our area. I'm looking forward to a couple of good bike rides this week. And I think I may even finish a few of my annual indoor summer chores! (Or not. Life is short, and chores are boring...)

Ski day 1: These clouds at dawn foretold the big rain event we had later in the afternoon.

Ski day 2: Clear blue skies at sunrise.


Ski day 3: Another clear morning with a very light wind.

Ski day 4: Clear sky with a gentle wind from the south.

No comments: