Saturday, August 11, 2012

No Risk, No Gain

I watched videos of  my recent ski runs and saw something I didn't like. It was being too cautious. Caution can be a good thing. (One doesn't want to be stupid.) I'm skiing because I really enjoy skiing. Unless your skills and abilities grow, things get dull after a while. And to improve at skiing, you must take risks and push yourself just a little beyond your comfort level.

I took a fall last year in which I snagged my foot on a binding. It really, really hurt, and much seriously bad language ensued. Watching the videos I saw that I was unconsciously skiing to prevent another bad fall. This week I promised to push myself and take some risks out there.

It was a great week for skiing. At dawn in August the air and water temperatures are both in the low 80s which is just about perfect. Of the seven days, we skipped one day on account of wind and took a road trip to the Gulf coast instead of skiing another day. That gave us five days of skiing. I met my goal. I took a really fabulous fall and came close several other times. (Note to self: It was lots of fun!)

The clouds make for a pretty dawn.

Al getting ready to ski.

Al does water ski "wheelies" by skiing on the back tip of his ski.




This is the way to start the day.

1 comment:

Colleen Welch said...

Way back in my 20s I had a similar experience, except it was snow skiing. I had broken my ankle skiing the winter before. The following season I went skiing and, although I wasn't consciously afraid of falling, I was definitely subconsciously afraid. When I finally fell and didn't get hurt, I felt this release of fear. The rest of the day I skied much more aggressively.